Comparing Dragon Medical & Professional Editions for the PC
Dragon Edition Feature Comparison
Dragon® Professional, Dragon® Legal, and Dragon® Medical Practice Edition have extensive customization, features, and deployment capabilities, enabling busy users to get more done in less time without changing their workflow.
If you are uncertain which edition of Dragon would best accommodate your needs, please contact Alexandria of our office at 604-264-9109 (toll free 1-888-964-9109) ext. 102. or arrange a pre-sales consultation online.
Which Edition of Dragon Is Right for You
Consider the following information when selecting between the Dragon Medical products and Dragon Professional/legal products.
Canadian medical practitioners now have 2 options of Dragon Medical products available to them. Dragon Medical and Dragon Medical One.
Most physicians are likely to find Dragon Medical One more appealing, however, Dragon Medical Practice Edition may be more suitable in certain scenarios. Briefly…
Dragon Medical One
As a result of enhanced features, medical practitioners would be best served using Dragon Medical One.
- Highest accuracy possible with a continually updated application core and vocabularies.
- Minimal PC technical requirements allows use of older computers.
- Unlimited installations on Windows PCs.
- Use anywhere you have internet and access to a Windows computer with one single user profile stored in the cloud.
Dragon Medical Practice Edition
For single computer use or across multiple computers in the same location, Dragon® Medical Practice Edition is ideal.
- No limitations when dictating with an EMR. Nuance disables all non-medical editions of Dragon from functioning with most EMRs.
- Use in multiple networked exam rooms with one single user profile.
- Numerous medical specific formatting options to achieve perfect results.
Dragon Medical Practice Edition & Dragon Medical One Detailed Comparison
click to read more...
|Purchase options||Subscription, 1 year agreement.||Outright purchase.|
|License availability||Single user.||Single user.|
|Installations/activations permissible||Unlimited.||Up to 4 computer activations concurrently.|
|Technical requirements||Any reasonable Windows PC with Internet access.||High requirements for best success.|
|Internet requirements||Internet access required for use.||Internet access required only for activation.|
|Mac computer use||Use Mac to remote view a Windows PC with DMO installed and using smart phone's microphone.||Run Boot Camp or Parallels Windows OS on Mac computer.|
|Remote/virtual environment||Several options to accomplish fairly easily.||A couple of options, some more finicky than others.|
|Application size & location||100 to 250 MB on each computer.||4 GB (with user profile).|
|Installation time||Depending on Internet speed, 5-10 minutes.||Depending on computer speed, 20-45 minutes.|
|Microphone input||Local microphone and/or Smartphone.||Local microphone.|
|Dragon user profile location||Cloud server.||Local or networked computer.|
|Backups||Automatically performed on cloud.||Local machine, managed by user or IT staff.|
|Synchronization of user profile across multiple computers||Yes, all computers.||Only networked computers using Dragon roaming user profile feature.|
|Updates||Ongoing and continuous.||Infrequent.|
|Upgrades||Ongoing with subscription.||For purchase; new user profile creation suggested for best use.|
|Accuracy||High accuracy and automatic accent detection.||Good accuracy.|
|Correcting Dragon (1)||Efficient with multiple methods.||Seamless and multiple methods.|
|Editing text (2)||Multiple most useful voice commands available.||Numerous voice commands available.|
|Custom command types (3)||Text, Advanced Step by Step.||Text, Step by Step, and Advanced Scripting.|
|Built-in commands (4)||The most used and necessary.||Numerous, including Microsoft Office.|
|Vocabularies (5)||Approximately 10, dynamic, continuously updated and refined.||Approximately 90, static until new version.|
|Browser compatibility||Internet Explorer and Google Chrome.||Internet Explorer and Google Chrome.|
|Transcription from digital voice recordings.||No.||Yes.|
|Save voice dictation in MS Word or DragonPad documents with a microphone for the purpose of assistant proofreading.||No.||Yes.|
(1) Initiating correction in DMO results in a drop-down list comprising of various options. If the option of what you said is not in the list, close out of the correction menu and proceed to the vocabulary for refining.
With optimized settings, initiating correction in DMPE results in a dialogue list comprising of various options. If the option of what you said is not in the list, immediately spell or type the correct word(s) in the edit box provided. Finished.
Conclusion: DMO is more accurate than DMPE so there will be fewer corrections. For particularly problematic word(s), both DMO and DMPE may struggle and further vocabulary refining is necessary.
(2) The editing command set for DMO and DMPE are almost exactly the same. The most notable absence in DMO is the “delete (word(s))” command. In order to delete words in DMO select the word(s) in question and issue the “delete that” command followed by the “go back” command.
Conclusion: If you perform numerous deletions while editing, the process in DMO takes a little bit longer than DMPE.
(3) The absence of Advanced Scripting is unnoticeable in DMO. The step-by-step command within DMO enables you to run other commands during specific steps; this option is not available in DMPE.
Conclusion: Step-by-step commands are a little more powerful in DMO.
(4) In order to streamline the efficacy of DMO, built-in commands for Microsoft Office are absent. That said, should you require voice command functionality in Microsoft Office, the creation of a step-by-step command will satisfy these requirements.
Conclusion: The absence of built-in Microsoft Office commands in DMO are rectifiable with the creation of custom commands.
(5) Despite far fewer vocabularies available in DMO, the effect on accuracy is not noticeable. The following vocabularies are available in DMO:
- General Medicine
- Clinical Administration (a non-medical General Vocabulary)
- Internal Medicine
- Mental Health
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
View a list of Dragon Medical Practice Edition specialty vocabularies.
Dragon Legal & Professional
Canadian lawyers and non-medical professionals are best served by employing the appropriate Dragon Professional edition. An individual, firm, or company’s requirements dictate the optimal edition. Briefly…
- The Legal and General Vocabularies contain American spelling, and not Canadian.
- The Professional editions are fully capable of adapting to a Canadian lawyer’s vocabulary.
- The Legal edition is more costly than the Professional edition.
If the features indicated below under Dragon Professional Group are required, consider the purchase of Dragon Professional Group. Otherwise, Dragon Professional Individual satisfies.
Dragon Professional Group
- An assistant is providing Dragon proofreading support.
- A volume license purchase is desired.
- A maintenance agreement is needed.
Dragon Professional Individual
- All other circumstances.
Dragon Professional Detailed Comparison
click to read more...
Dragon® Professional Comparison
- DPI = Dragon® Professional Individual
- DPG = Dragon® Professional Group
|High recognition accuracy as a result of Nuanced Deep Learning technology||✓||✓|
|Roaming Dragon User Profiles enable users and their assistants to access the main speaker's Dragon User Profile on any networked computer enabling more efficient document creation||✓|
|Dynamic Roaming Dragon User Profiles enable users to easily dictate on any shared computer by way of the NMC*||✓|
|Transcribe individual voice files into text||✓||✓|
|Batch transcription of voice files into text||✓|
|Create advanced custom commands to streamline workflow||✓||✓|
|Manage advanced custom commands enterprise wide through the NMC*||✓|
|Add custom words and import word lists||✓||✓|
|Manage custom words and word lists enterprise wide through the NMC*||✓|
|Voice to text of any length on iOS and Android devices via Dragon Anywhere (additional fees)||✓||✓|
|Manage Dragon Anywhere Group* (voice to text of any length on iOS and Android devices) through the NMC*(additional fees)||✓|
|Support for Remote Desktop Protocol & Citrix virtualized environments||✓|
|Volume licensing available||✓|
|Maintenance agreement available (additional fees)||✓|
|Central administration through the NMC*||✓|
*According to PIPEDA law, you are responsible for all information transmitted. At this time, the NMC and Dragon Anywhere components are hosted on servers in the United States of America. Once information is transmitted into the United States of America, it falls under the jurisdiction of that country (including the Patriot Act).